*For use with Kontakt
When creating upright piano Instruments, it is very important deciding which upright piano to start from. When creating grand pianos, the choice is more limited, as there are fewer outstanding examples to chose from. Upright pianos are a totally different story, there are a multitude of choices.
Chocolate Audio chose a piano capable of producing both a full sound and the on the edge of being slightly out-of-tune tones characteristic of so many historical recording of these types of pianos. They sampled a beautifully made italian upright piano built by Steinbach in Torino and placed it in a mid-size roomy studio surrounded by a plethora of microphones.
They didn't settle for a single pair or even a limited selection of microphones. They wanted to make sure to capture the essence of this piano by using the very best microphones available. In that way the sampling and editing process had the best chance to preserve its soul, something which was hard to achieve. It is for this very reason, they used many more microphones than was initially planned to capture every nuance.
These microphones, used either alone or combined with others, gives you the widest possible variety of tonal colors you might need from a top-notch concert piano. To preserve the delicate tonal balance, they carefully phase-aligned all of the microphones.
The Mixer provided in this package opens up many different sonic possibilities. It gets you quick results with just a few controls for adjusting Volume, Panning, Width, Reverb Send as well as Mutes and Solos. You also have effects such as a 3-band EQ with adjustable frequency centers, a Preset Compressor & Tape Emulation and an IR Reverb.
Chocolate Audio's approach to sampled Instruments is to let the musician in you create, free of technical hassles. You just play. The learning-curve was reduces to a minimum, this is always a priority when they design their Instruments. But if you want to customise and refine the sound to the upmost, their multi-layer user interfaces allow for it, giving you the best of both worlds.
- 5.95 GB (lossless compressed) library size, 4688 samples
- 4 microphone sets used: Royer ribbon Blumlein and Spaced, Neumann M149 mono and Oktava stereo room set
- 8 sustaining dynamic layers, chromatically sampled
- 4 release trails layers, chromatically sampled
- Independently controllable sustain pedal resonances
- Key release noise for added authenticity
- Sustain pedal down and up noise layers
- Sampled with Millennia, Neve, SSL and Focusrite preamps fed direct into Apogee converters
- All of the details of the piano recreated through the use of our custom advanced scripting
- Recorded at 24 bit / 96 KHz, released at 24 bit / 44.1 KHz
- User Interface can be customised to the users needs
- Velocity curve management
- Piano tone control, makes the piano sound softer or harder according to your playing style
- Custom touch response control: set at minimum you'll get the full sound of the piano with added latency (good for mixing), at higher levels cuts more and more into the piano pre attack portion allowing for very low perceived latency when needed (good for tracking and live playing)
- Fine tuned three band EQ for each channel
- Many underlying features used to make the piano true to the original (life like repedaling, release trails attenuation, intelligent attenuation of each single dynamic layer for maximum dynamic response...)
- Master realism control and specific control over release trails, key off, resonances and pedal noise levels
- Envelope controls
- 101 custom, high quality IR reverbs
- 22 compressor + tape presets
- 34 factory presets
- Works as standalone, AAX, RTAS, AU and VST for Mac and PC