BFD Cocktail Kit is a BFD3/BFD2-compatible expansion kit based on the Yamaha Hipgig portable drumkit. Developed in conjunction with world-renowned drummer Rick Marotta, the Hipgig kit is perfect for any style of music. The drums feature 7-ply birch/mahogany shells with a very dynamic and musical sound.
BFD Cocktail Kit is recorded in the same room under the same studio conditions as the Jazz & Funk, B.O.M.B., JEX and Decatom expansions, as well as other Yamaha-based expansion kits. It has also been designed to sound great with BFD3/BFD2's built-in library as well as with BFD libraries recorded in other locations.
BFD Cocktail includes the following kit-pieces:
- Hipgig 6"x10" and 7"x13" toms (played with sticks)
- Hipgig 20"x16" Kick Drum (played with rubber and felt beaters)
- Hipgig 5"x12" Snare Drum (played with sticks and hot-rods)
New articulations include rim shots and rim clicks on the toms. The snare also offers rim clicks, with the stick version additionally offering flams, drags and the half-edge articulation which can be used with positional sensing on suitable electronic drumkits.
There are no hihats or cymbals included with this expansion kit. All presets are designed around BFD2 hats and cymbals and can be easily set up to play with electronic drumkits such as the Yamaha DTXtreme series using BFD3/BFD2's mapping functionality.
BFD Cocktail was recorded at Omega Studios in Rockville, MD. All drums feature Remo Heads: Coated Ambassador (snare and toms) and Renaissance Powerstroke 3 (kick).
Equipment used for the recordings
- Kick In - Shure Beta 52 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Out - Neumann FET 47 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Resonant - Yamaha Sub Kick / Neve VR console channel preamp
- Snare Top - Shure Beta 57A / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Bottom - EV N/D457 / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Side - Violet Design Flamingo Jr. / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Toms - Violet Design Globe / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Overhead - Matched pairs of Nuemann KM184s or Violet Design Black Knight mics / ATI 8MX2 preamps
- Room - Violet Design Globe with protoype omni capsules / Focusrite Red preamps
- Amb3 - Nevaton MC404 stereo mic placed in the center of the room / Metric Halo ULN2 preamps