It's an effect. It's an instrument. It's Stutter Edit—an innovative tool for both studio and stage, designed by BT and developed by iZotope.
Tear up your tracks in real-time, building thrilling fills, complex effects, shimmering sweeps, and staggering stutters that will leave your listeners screaming for more. They'll think you spent hours slaving over the slices…but all it took was a press of a key. (Don't worry, we won't tell.)
How does it work?
Stutter Edit's features revolve around an innovative engine that continuously samples live audio, storing that audio in a buffer that can be manipulated in a myriad of ways. The key to unlocking Stutter Edit's capabilities is the use of Gestures: a set of effects and their associated timelines that reside on a single MIDI note. The audible result of a Gesture can vary from simple to complex—a Stutter Gesture could simply repeat a small chunk of audio at an 1/8 note rhythmic rate, or it could trigger a run of raging glitches that get decimated by a bit crusher before being filtered into a wash of echoes. Whoa.
Condensing such sonic adventures into a single key press is what makes Stutter Edit so playable, especially with its intelligent sense of timing. Stutter Edit is designed with musicality in mind, which frees you to make wild sounds that still feel like a natural part of your tracks. Outside of the studio, couple Stutter Edit with a host like Ableton Live to rocket your performances into a new world of organic improvisation.
The best way to learn more is to simply start playing, listening, and observing the power of Stutter Edit's controls. Get started by checking out feature details and audio samples below, then download the demo and try for yourself!
Whether you’re constructing the next chart topper, sound effect or live performance, Stutter Edit’s cutting-edge audio slicing and manipulation saves you time. Abuse new rhythmic possibilities safe in the knowledge that everything’s synced perfectly to your timeline… unless, of course, you hit the mod wheel to override everything to granular infinity and beyond!
- Create incredible sweeps that transition from one rhythmic value to another, or repeat audio at a rhythmic note value with the Stutter Module.
- Choose a note value from 1/4 to 1/1024 for the Stutter Module to sweep or step between. That's not enough? Make your audio repeat at a high enough frequency to turn it into musical pitches with the Stutter Matrix.
- Create unheard-of stepping effects that transform your audio into complex rolls, trills and even arpeggios, using the Quantize Module. With Quantize off, Stutter Edit sweeps between note values continuously.
- Dice drum loops. Jump between notes in a vocal phrase. Use the Buffer Position’s slick radar screen to choose where Stutter Edit pulls audio out of the buffer. You can even randomize playback order for unexpected results.
Inject new colors and textures into your music with the real-time, instantly gratifying audio effects built right in to the Stutter Edit engine. Ride the new, real-time wave-changing paradigm. Whether combining filter sweeps with beat repeats, delays with reverse swoops or bit crushers with granular break-downs, let your music and effects do the talking, not countless hours of editing.
- Make aggressive resonant sweeps or create LFO-like modulation that locks to each Gesture's timeline using the Filter Module. Shape the sound of each key-controlled Gesture individually, or use the Global Filter to apply a buildup/breakdown filter sweep to your entire audio track.
- Fly from a subtle chorus to a springy rubber-band effect with the deep Delay Module. Dedicated resonant band-pass filters provide perfectly tweakable results to your wet, delayed signal.
- Get a dose of digital distortion crunch or add a periodic growl using the Bit Reduction Module. Like every Stutter Edit module, it'll move in sync with the tempo.
- Get back to the old-timey future with the Lo-Fi Module. Adjust the Lo-Fi settings to get a "vintage digital" vibe or bury the whole track in fuzz.
While Stutter Gestures process audio, Generator Gestures mix noises and crashes with your track. The Generator gives you the ideal tool for creating washes of noise, dramatic build-ups, and hits that add excitement to a track.
For performance, choose where you want the Generator Gesture to end, and no matter where you trigger it, it will intelligently stop on the perfect beat. You can even hold a Generator Gesture as you jump between different Stutter Gestures. The result: an improvised arrangement that sounds like you've spent hours toiling in the studio.
- Build tension, or drop a breakdown via a downward swoosh of noise, with the Generator’s Pitch Module. Scale the pitch of the Generator's noise tables over twelve octaves automatically.
- Add a little more bite by adding the Lo-Fi Module in the Generator Gesture for a grainy, gritty noise wash or stab.
- Release a dramatic build-up into a trail of decaying echoes with the Generator’s dedicated Delay Module, ensuring a perfectly smooth transition.
- Automate the Generator’s resonant Band-pass filter to shape and squelch blasts of noise.
Stutter Edit Presets
Stutter Edit comes with over 35 preset banks and over 800 gestures, all designed for a vast variety of musical genres or specific types of effects.
- Cut, jump, and reimagine your rhythmic pulse with the Cuts and Jumps and BT Signature category presets, Stutter Edit’s bread and butter.
- Warp all sense of time (while staying on grid and in tempo!) using the Time Warp category presets.
- Mix your audio 360 degrees through the audio space/time continuum by launching one of the Space and Delay or Stereo Tricks category presets.
- Bring back the sounds of old with presets laced in chip-tune, arcade-style nostalgia for glitches and beat juggling that marries the past with futuristic rhythms.
- Why stop there? Expansion Packs are available here as free downloads to further enhance your Stutter Edit experience.
- Elegant and intuitive MIDI control allows for simple setup, letting you focus on your music and your sound. Claim back those hours wasted adjusting hundreds of parameters in multiple third-party effects with mouse control.
- Variable curves enhance the modulation characteristics of the parameters themselves, creating interesting textures that develop over time.
- Automatic host sync, with custom definitions available for both Gesture Length and Release Mode, allows you full control over the music without the need to trigger effects perfectly in time.
- Super low CPU and rock solid stability allows for reliable live use.
Includes BreakTweaker plus all 4 BreakTweaker Expansions: Vintage Machines, Cinematic Textures, Kicks & Snared by Beatport Sounds and Modern Grooves by Black Octopus.
Make beats you've never heard before. Built on a futuristic MicroEdit Engine, BreakTweaker turns everything you know about rhythm on its head.
Designed by BT and developed by iZotope, BreakTweaker is not just a drum machine: it's a drum sculpting and beat sequencing machine that blurs the line between rhythm and melody. Give your beats an evolving depth that gets better the longer they play. Use rhythmic slicing to drive everything from pitched melodic lines to sweeping rhythmic concoctions. Top it all off with the best drum sample library in existence, curated by BT, iZotope, and top producers today. Explore a new era of rhythmic possibilities with this forward-thinking and forward-sounding instrument.
Manipulate audio at a molecular level: Reinvent any beat by controlling pitch, rhythm, and texture at the finest resolution on the market.
Experiment with stunning content: Explore a full range of presets, drum samples, and wavetables designed by today's top musicians and DJs, including BT.
Invent completely new rhythms: Create complex polyrhythmic lines with unique isorhythm and playback speed settings.
Craft the perfect drum sound: Blend drum samples with robust synthesizer features to create sounds that are the best of both worlds.
Take control of your beats: Easily trigger and sequence complex patterns and samples using any MIDI controller.
What is BreakTweaker?
BreakTweaker is the beat machine of the future. Powered by three distinct modules, the Sequencer, the Generator, and the MicroEdit Engine, it’s a wildly creative rhythmic instrument that can be used with any DAW and MIDI controller. For instant gratification, get started with the diverse presets and content in the Factory Library, a showcase of BreakTweaker’s breadth and sonic capabilities. When you want to get deeper, break new sonic ground with BreakTweaker’s paradise of tweaky controls and settings.
Assemble pattern-based beats in the Sequencer, which features six tracks for layering your sounds. The Sequencer can store up to 24 different step patterns, launchable via MIDI for on-the fly remixing. Design beats that evolve over time with BreakTweaker’s advanced isorhythmic step sequencing, which makes it possible for each track to have a unique tempo and step length.
Sculpt new drum sounds and textures with the Generator. This powerful drum synthesis module defines the sounds for each Sequencer track. The Generator supports morphing wavetable synthesis or one-shot sample loading, polished off with dual-stage distortions and vintage-modeled filters. Four LFOs with unique wavetable shapes, and four Envelopes allow vast modulation possibilities for almost every single Generator parameter. As a bonus, every Sequencer track supports up to three Generators for developing even deeper sonic complexity.
The MicroEdit Engine
Once you’ve perfected the ultimate set of drum sounds and sequenced your patterns, it’s time for a whole new method of sound design. Enter the MicroEdit Engine. A “MicroEdit” is the division of a single step within your pattern into potentially thousands of slices. These slices can then be contoured and shaped to create harmonic, pitched, and rhythmic effects, resulting in new textures that add that extra spice to an evolving beat. By pushing the limits of the brain’s ability to perceive sound, the MicroEdit Engine blurs the line between rhythm and pitch, inspiring beats you’ve never heard before.
The Factory Library
Bringing sounds, patterns, and MicroEdits together into mind-boggling beats, the BreakTweaker Factory Library comes with over 80 global presets that are ready to kickstart your next project. The Factory Library also features over 2 GB of royalty-free sample content designed by electronic production pros. Specializing in a wide variety of percussive sounds, sample categories range from studio essentials like “Kick” and “Snare” to intriguing possibilities like “Glitch” and “Film.”
Vintage Machines Expansion
Browse through a treasure trove of heavy, dusty vintage beats and revisit hip hop, trap, upbeat techno, two step, dilla-style off-kilter beats and much more. Vintage Machines delivers an eclectic range of over 200 samples from the greatest drum machines out there, assembled into a unique collection of throwback fun. With 50 kits to choose from and 12 patterns each, you can mix and match your favorite lo-fi goodness and drop some vintage style into your track. Crunchy beats, head-bobbing sub and just a hint of old-school vibes take you back to the era of the greats.
A SAMPLING OF 200+ SAMPLES
Kick Crispy Fried, Snare of the Month, Hat Dirty Dirt, Ride Clear, Kick Chop Chop...
A PEEK AT THE PRESETS
Forest Thumper, White Wine, Millenial Rap, House Bliss, Two Step, Boom Bap...
Cinematic Textures Expansion
The Cinematic Textures Expansion is a collection of rhythmic gestures ranging from esoteric patterns to dense pulses and beats. Designed to enhance film and television scores, and to intensify the texture of electronic and electro-acoustic music, this expansion is geared towards composers, producers and sound designers alike. With 71 presets and over 700 samples, Cinematic Textures was made with sonic exploration in mind. Delve into both percussive and tonal elements to inspire new ideas for your future musical works.
A SAMPLING OF 700+ SAMPLES
Dark Pulse, Broken Autoharp, Bass Harmonic, Orch Slap Stab, Rolling Synth...
A PEEK AT THE PRESETS
Abstract Scratchmosphere, Tension Espionage, Action Hallucinations...
Kick & Snares by Beatport Sounds Expansion
If anyone knows what makes a track pulse, it’s Beatport, the world’s largest DJ and electronic music community. Exclusively created for iZotope’s BreakTweaker, this impressive-sounding drum sample collection from Beatport Sounds is perfectly suited for modern drum production. With solid kicks, snares, and a little percussion thrown in for good measure, Kicks & Snares will augment your already-stellar Factory Library with fresh flavors from the labs at Beatport.
A SAMPLING OF 100+ SAMPLES
Kick Thumpin Trap, Kick Housey, Snare Dubstep Hit, Perc Hat, Perc Crash...
Modern Grooves by Black Octopus
Designed by boutique sample creator Black Octopus, Modern Grooves is a high-end collection of samples and presets for producers and songwriters of all types. Modern but retro, crisp yet slick, Modern Grooves serves up full-fledged starting points for jamming out new track ideas. Prefer to start from scratch? We have you covered there, too. With 300 new audio samples and 40 Generator presets, there’s plenty of rich material for customizing your own productions. Take a tour through Electro, Breaks, Deep House, House and more, then spice up any track that needs a lift. Get fresh beats for any genre with Modern Grooves.